3.14.2011

dillydally dye

I fiddled around with painting wool tops today after an especially rough daycare drop-off (Ingrid had a substitute teacher).  While I was trying to transform from Mama into Worker, I shuffled through a few of my favorite distractions, looking for a little inspiration, and I thought I'd share what's been keeping my dyepots bubbling and carders humming:


I'm a huge Belle & Sebastian fan, and their latest album has been playing nonstop in my iTunes... at least, when I'm not listening to the following audio book.  Since my husband has worked and/or volunteered in noncommercial college radio for the past 14 years, I've enjoyed the chance to listen to new albums months before they're released.  This album distracted me though, and I've barely paid attention to anything else (other than the new Carolina Chocolate Drops EP) in about half a year, especially since I think the new Iron & Wine and Devotchka albums are bummers.  Don't take my word for it, I'm a lousy music critic and have listened to the same 10 albums for the past 15 years.



Thanks to my favorite splurge, a monthly subscription to Audible, I'm finally "reading" again.  I went from reading 2-3 books a week in college to ONE book a year since getting pregnant (pregnancy changed my eyesight and having a little one turned my time focus from reading to getting caught up on housework).  My Mum recommended Elegance of the Hedgehog after I had polished off a real doozy of an audiobook, and I'm about half-way through and completely hooked.


When I do get my hands on a physical book, it's usually to flip through searching for clever product names.  Last week, I browsed my Harlan Ellison collection to find names and inspirations for hand pulled roving.  Recently, I've also used themes such as Shakespearean characters, female authors, teas,  physics terms, and minor planets.

The painted rovings from this morning's dye session are drying on racks in the studio, and I am so excited for the next shop update, which will most likely happen on Friday.

What's been inspiring you lately?

1 comment:

  1. yes! aren't books wonderful sources of inspiration for yarn! sometimes i drool over words and can't wait to turn them into fibrey splendour.

    ReplyDelete